Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Miss Williamsburg, Where the Delivery Men Actually Have Balls

Some months ago, I moved from Williamsburg, Brooklyn to Long Island City, Queens. I have always hated Queens, but I found this amazing studio with a wall full of windows and a new kitchen and new bath and lots of space; it was too good to pass up. I decided to give LIC a try. So far, I'm disappointed with the neighborhood for lots of reasons: overpriced bodegas, a far-away grocery store, 7 train service interruptions.
But things got worse tonight. I live in south LIC in a very industrial area and there are a lot of places that won't deliver here. But I have a few delivery options, which include: Domino's (nasty), Palace Fried Chicken (nasty), a couple of Chinese places in Sunnyside (often nasty), and Tuk-Tuk, which in my opinion is the best and least greasy option. I end up ordering their Thai food quite a lot.
Tonight I called for delivery and the woman taking my order got quiet when I gave my address. She paused and then asked what my cross street was. I told her and added that's it's not that far and they've delivered here before. Then she explained: Their delivery guy was recently mugged on my street. They took his money, his bike, and the food. And he's scared to deliver here now. Ah, Long Island City, I just love you more every day.

No comments: