Monday, February 19, 2007

Foreign Lady Wants Castle Back, Blogger Showing Signs of Amnesia

There is a great article in the NY Times today about Princess Sophie von Hohenberg, the great-granddaughter of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, who is trying to reclaim Konopiste Castle, the family's former residence just south of Prague, Czech Republic. I am kind of obsessed with Eastern European history, and reading the article kind of screwed with my memory. Had I been to Konopiste? My memory's for shit sometimes, and I know that I've been to Prague Castle and the castle at Cesky Krumlov in Southern Bohemia (complete with bears in the moat!), but there's at least one more that I can't remember for the life of me. So I wasted an hour this morning Googling castles and trying to find something recognizable. It's awful, I think, that even as intelligent adults we forget some of the places we've been; and it's funny to think I could return someday to visit a place for the first time, only to realize that I've experienced it before. Anyhow, I decided the castle I visited definitely wasn't Konopiste. I discovered a photo of this town, however, which looks quite familiar and in whose main square I seem to recall a meal.

No comments: