Friday, August 24, 2007

Dobry Den: The Slovak-Czech Varieties Store

I know that I spend a lot of time bitching about Long Island City, but every once in awhile, I discover something great in the neighborhood. The Slovak-Czech Varieties store has been there for at least a couple of years, but I finally managed to visit on Sunday afternoon. It's a wonderful little enclave with Czech glass, magazines, books, food, tea, and (best of all) children's toys.
If you've ever been to Prague, you know about those Czech wooden toys that you see all over the place. They're super cute, but being the kind of person who despises most knickknacks, I declined to purchase one when I was in Prague. I always sort of regretted it.
Thanks to the Slovak-Czech Varieties store, I got one on Sunday. I highly recommend it as a good place to browse for unusual gifts; the staff and customers are super friendly, too.

Slovak-Czech Varieties, 10-59 Jackson Ave., Long Island City

1 comment:

Ježísheck said...

Hi there,

my name is Kuba and I live in Czech Republic. Not in Prague, but in Karlovy Vary which is really wonderfull city at all. I was surprised, when I've read about Czech shop in Brooklyn (or just shop with Czech stuff?, I don't know ;-) So, I just wanted to say hello to you and invite you to Karlovy Vary, because IMHO it is more beautyfull town than Prague :-D