Monday, August 13, 2007

Apartment Hunting with Lorem Ipsum!

My apartment search has officially started, and I hope to post pictures and descriptions of some of the ridiculously overpriced dumps I am sure to see during my quest for a roof and four walls. I saw a studio on the Upper West Side (for only $1,200!) on Saturday, and yet, it too was no bueno. I forgot to take pictures (dammit), but vow to do so from now on.

Anyhow, to begin, I'd like to share an email that I received from a gentleman named Andrew. I had responded to Andrew's post for a Lower Manhattan studio for $1,100 (I know, I know, it seemed too good to be true, especially since the pictures he posted made the studio look all shiny and new). But a girl can try. I emailed him, and yesterday, I received this email back:

Hello,
I'm the owner of this apartment, I want to rent this because I have moved out from New York with my job. Now I'm living in London, UK, as I work here. I'm looking for a serios client. The lease could be 1-2 maximum 3 years, as long as I stay here in London.
This apartment is well maintained, and everything it's on place.
Pets are allowed but the floor has to be clean. Regarding parties I also have no problem, decent atmosphere needed.
Payment: Must be made one time per 3 months (4 rates x 3,300 usd per year).
Deposit: I must get paid one month in advance (1,100 usd). After that you will pay me once at the end of that 3 months, mentioned above.
To proceed, I need your final decision and that deposit wired here in London, because I'm depending on that. It will enable me to come back to New York for 2-3 days and make the contract and hand over the keys.
I'm surely convinced that this is a reasonable price and I need SERIOUS OFFERS ONLY !NO BROKERS, only peaceful and law-abiding tenants.
If you have any other questions...go ahead with them.
Thank you...
Andrew

Awesome! Sure, let me wire you a thousand bucks in London. And then you'll come out here and give me the keys afterward? Oh, OK, I totally believe you. Sounds great, "Andrew."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey There,

Just responded to that same AD, I got the same email response. I mean do people honestly think that it's that easy to scam. I am guessing yes if they are. I am going to find out if I can somehow get this buy busted for fraud.

Daniel I said...

Guys Same thing happen to me but I live in London. Same structure but different locations. In my case the flat is supposed to be in London and the landlord has moved to Italy , please see below:

Hello,

I'm the owner of this apartment, I want to rent this because I have moved out from London with my job. Now I'm living in Italy as I work here. I'm looking for a serious client. The lease could be 1-2 maximum 3 years, as long as I stay here in Italy.

This apartment is well maintained, and everything it's on place.

Pets are allowed but the floor has to be clean. Regarding parties I also have no problem, decent atmosphere needed.

Payment:
Rent - 600 pounds / Month
Deposit - 600 pounds

Deposit: I must get paid one month in advance (600 Pounds). After that you will pay me monthly, mentioned above.

To proceed, I need your final decision and that deposit wired here in Italy, because I'm depending on that. It will enable me to come back to London for 2-3 days and make the contract and hand over the keys.

I'm surely convinced that this is a reasonable price and I need SERIOUS OFFERS ONLY !NO BROKERS, only peaceful and law-abiding tenants.
If you have any other questions...go ahead with them.

Thank you...
Michael Rundis

o-o-o-o-o--ooo---o--o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

same thing, very nice flat with on a very expensive area really cheap.

What do you think?