Wednesday, September 5, 2007

To the Very Mean People (Person?) Who Stole My Bike Seat on Sunday

Quite frankly, I didn't even know my brand-new bike seat could come off so easily. So there, I learned something new, I guess. But, c'mon! Are you serious? Stealing someone's bike seat in Williamsburg in broad daylight? What if I'd come out of the restaurant earlier and stolen a peak down North 9th and seen you unscrewing my seat? Have you no decency!

And frankly, I expect this sort of thing to happen in Long Island City, but in tony Williamsburg, what with its new crop of trust-fund babies and their condo-buying parents?

So, a little research reveals that the hood and its environs (namely, Bushwick) haven't been doing too well with crime lately. The Brooklyn Paper reports that the 90th precinct had 18 robberies in one of the last weeks of August, which I'm sure doesn't include all the unreported things like a bike seat being taken. And my bike seat being stolen doesn't seem like such a big deal when you read about this poor little gal:

A 10-year-old girl had her bicycle stolen from her as she rode near the corner of Division Avenue and Roebling Street on Aug. 18. Cops are hunting for a 13-year-old boy on a girls’ bike.

No comments: