Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday Afternoon in an Elevator: A Play in One Short Act

I get into the elevator in my office building. There is already another gal in there. She is pretty, petite, well-dressed.

Her: Oh, do you work on 13?
Me: Yeah, I'm in research. Freelance.
Her: I'm K, the fashion editor.
Me: Oh, good to meet you!
Her: You, too. I never meet people on the other side of the room.
Me: Me, neither.
Her: So I should have some fashion stuff for you soon!

Please keep in mind that there are always free books and DVDs and such at magazines, and I sit right next to the "free" pile, so I somehow thought that she meant FREE FASHION STUFF! Woo hoo! That's why I said:

Me: No way, are you serious?!

She probably never heard anyone so excited about work.

Her: Yeah, it's totally late.

This is when I realize that she's totally talking about COPY not free stuff.

Me: Oh, no, I don't think it's late, I think it's ... (you know how you start to babble when you're embarrassed and trying to cover your tracks? Oh ...)

No comments: