Sunday, March 9, 2008

Intro to Nature & Its Positive Emotional Benefits

I had the best Sunday afternoon wandering around the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. I went to see Daffodil Hill, which supposedly blooms in March. Well, that was a crock. But! The rest of the grounds were lovely, practically deserted, and a quite peaceful way to spend one's Sunday. My favorite spot was the wooden deck by the Japanese garden. If you sit on the bench and glance down at the water, you'll see dozens of huge fish, all orange, silver, white. My brother once told me that when he had a large aquarium, he found fish-watching relaxing; I dismissed his comment at the time, but he's right: It's oddly calming. There were also lots of interesting trees, if you're into that sort of thing. In the conservatory, I was excited to find red mangrove trees, which I first discovered on a dolphin-watching excursion in the Gulf of Mexico. They're beautiful in the way that they rise from the water, without any land to support them. Lots of weeping trees, too: A willow (pictured) and a beech that looked so battered with dozens of initials and hearts carved into its trunk. And one that was just plain crazy crooked. Not to mention happy squirrels with nuts!

BBG Pics on Picasa

No comments: