Sunday, March 18, 2007

Inadvertent Homeless Chic Gone Terribly Wrong or One Woman's Act of Repentance? Thankfully for This Blogger, the Latter

Today I was walking home from the grocery store and I was stopped at the corner of Jackson and 21st Street when a woman approached me. She was pretty, blonde, maybe in her mid-30s. She said, "Can I give you a dollar?"
Now the first thing I thought was: Oh my goodness, does she think I'm homeless? I mentally catalogued what I had put on that afternoon: dress, leggings, suede boots, coat. Not too horrible. (In the '90s, I went through a Mary-Kate-esque baggy clothing period. I also wore a backpack 'cause I was in college. Once, standing in line for a movie with my friend Kelly like that, she remarked, "You look like a homeless person." The fact that I was homeless chic before "bobo" was cool still doesn't make me feel any better.)
Anyhow, this woman asks me today if I will take her dollar. I must have looked confused because she said, "I broke a promise to myself, and I told myself if I broke that promise that I had to give a dollar to a stranger."
Then she slipped the lone dollar into my plastic grocery bag, next to the cornflakes. I meant to say, "Thank you," but instead, "Good luck" came out of my mouth. And then, "take care." And I wanted to ask what promise she had broken, but it seemed inappropriate. I decided she probably slept with someone whom she promised she would never sleep with again. Or maybe she fell off the wagon or something like that, but she seemed way too put together to have just gone on a bender.

No comments: