Friday, April 18, 2008

How I Became a Caricature of All the Single New Yorkers You See on Some Dumb Sitcom

On my lunch break this afternoon, I was walking along 42nd Street, enjoying the day -- bright yellow sun, check! Crisp blue skies, check! Ex-boyfriend walking exactly three people in front of me, shit!

It's funny how one doesn't realize that she really, really doesn't want to talk to/see someone until she is confronted with the possibility. A more mature person would have kept walking and figured, if we bump into each other at the light on the corner, so be it. Que sera, sera. Apparently, I am not a more mature person.

Without really thinking, I froze. Then I took a step back, scanned for a hiding place, ran behind a green kiosk, pulled my dark glasses out of my bag, put them on, popped my head out to see if the coast was clear, and took off in the opposite direction.

No comments: