Wednesday, February 27, 2008

'Eeeee' is the Name of a Tao Lin Book or the Uncomfortable Sound You Make When Speaking With Him

Dear Tao Lin (Who Is So Weird and Extremely Difficult to Have a Conversation With):

I went to your reading last week (or maybe it was the week before—I've been busy!) at my friend N.'s writing workshop. I was hanging out by the table with the free booze (to be opened afterward the reading) when you walked by.

Me: Hey, I think we met before.
You respond with a blank stare, like I am making this up.
Me: You know, at the reading with J. last year. We had dinner afterwards.
You respond with a blank stare, like I am making this up.
Me: Well, I mean, *we* didn't have dinner, like, together. There were other people there!
You: Where was the reading?
Me: At Galapagos.
You: I didn't eat dinner that night.
Me (now annoyed): Yes, you did! At Anytime? There were five or six of us. Around a table. With food. And J.—remember J.?

Then you asked me if there was somewhere on the table where you could sell your book. And I was like, I don't work here. Maybe after that you said something again about not eating that night after Galapagos, so maybe you meant that you were at the dinner but didn't eat. Maybe you don't remember, period. Usually if I don't remember something, I'd blame it on alcohol. But I seem to remember you saying that you don't even drink! And yet! Immediately after the reading, with all that free booze, you and your pal came up to the table, announced that you were leaving, and ASKED TO TAKE HOME A BOTTLE OF WINE! What?! Who asks that? My friend N. looked at me, and even though I have nothing to do with anything, I shook my head No. Then N. said, "You can take some beers," and your friend stuffed some beers in his backpack. I think you grabbed one or two. I don't get you. And if I see you again, I will stare down at my feet until you pass by.

Sincerely,
Lorem Ipsum

3 comments:

Zachary German said...

we put the beers in tao's bag, and it wasn't a back pack

ellen frances said...

the other night tao rode all the way from BFE bushwick to nyc. After we finally got 500 stops to first ave. he said. "im going back" and as the doors opened on the subway car he lazily waved and walked off infront of me and got on a brooklyn bound L.
Such is the beauty of Tao.

ps e is the best letter in the universe and everything connected to it is usually pure genius. dont knock it just cause you cant rock it.

Kendra Grant Malone said...

i think tao and zac called me that night. i was in a bad mood and didnt want to leave the house and they tried to bait me over by telling me they stole beers for me. if he had managed the wine, i might have come over. i like wine more than beer. i almost never say no to two boys and wine.