Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rule of Thumb: Don't Assume a Woman's Pregnant Unless She's Crowning

So yesterday I get on the bus after work and I step up and slide in my card and the driver says, "Oh! Having a baby, huh?" I didn't quite know how to answer this since, no, I am not having a baby, so I just frowned and said, "No, not a baby; maybe I'm just fat."
I took one of those single seats next to the window and took some time to reconsider my dress choice for the day. Sure I had tied a large yellow belt around my waist so that the gold dress kind of poofed out below it, but still! Come on!
I might not be a Nicole Richie, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm not a big person. A Kate Winslet, perhaps, a Drew Barrymore in her less svelte stages, Lily Allen even. I eye other people getting on the bus: Some have obvious, huge tummies -- hefty muffin tops bubble over too-tight jeans and satin shirts showcase big, big bulges, surely much bigger than my stomach, but the driver doesn't say anything to these women!
So then I run some errands and get on the train to go home and I'm standing, holding onto a pole and my bags and then, a girl. actually. gets. up! And, eyeing my stomach area, she tells me to sit down. And I'm like, no I'm OK, thanks. And then her boyfriend says, Oh, C'mon.
I kind of go along with it: "I'm just going one stop, but thank you for being so sweet."
So, can I blame this on the tent-dress trend? Or am I doomed to spend eternity looking like I swallowed a beach ball, even though I am not with child?

No comments: